On December 31, 1995, my soul announced in no uncertain terms that it was hungry for a soul-directed life. I was sitting in my back-bedroom office, feeling fragmented, disconnected, and parched, and I thought, “I cannot bear another year like this.” In some place deep in my heart, I knew that even if I reinvigorated my marriage and succeeded wildly at my career, I would still be hungry, because what I really wanted was more God. I grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled,
I want You to find me. I will sit in a field until You find me.
In that moment, everything began to shift and I was propelled into a whole new way of living. Here are the core truths I’ve learned along the way:
- You do not have a soul; you are a soul. This changes everything.
- Everyone has direct and immediate access to the voice of Spirit – and you can learn many, many ways to activate it.
- You were born a mystic. It is your natural state.
- Spiritual practices are the technologies of the soul.
- The soul takes nothing for granted – nothing. Everything and everyone can be a holy, helpful, loving messenger.
- I am not your teacher. I do not have your answers, nor does anyone else. So who is your teacher? You, your life, your Self, your soul, your divine Voice, your angels and guides, and the mystics and masters who have walked this path to union with the One.
- We think the path is obscure, but it’s not. Poets, saints, mystics, and masters of all traditions and times have left trails upon trails of delightful clues!
- Our world values measurement, performance, and left-brain logic. But the heart is thousands of times wiser than the brain. Your spiritual heart is your primary organ of discernment and intelligence.
- There is a Presence inside you. When you pray, the divine Presence is praying. When you love, the divine Presence is loving.
- The Divine lives in paradox.
- You are guided. Always. You can trust the mystery, even when you don’t understand it.
- We live in a conscious universe that is more mystical and magical than we can imagine, and yet – wonder of wonders – our individual selves are connected with all that is. Using our innate soul talents, we can create a soul-directed life that is authentic, beautiful, abundant and overflowing with joy.
- Life is sacred. The world is sacred. Everything is holy!
The sweetest and clearest description of a soul-directed life came from Mary Anne Radmacher, the innovative artist and prolific author, when she was a guest expert in my Soul Expression course. I asked her to describe how she is so creative and she said:
“My work is my play and my play is my work and everything – everything – is prayer.”
Her words stopped me in my tracks. Here, in one sentence, is the secret to the soul-directed life. I have held this mantra in my heart ever since.
If these core truths and ways of being are resonating in your spiritual heart, please join me in Your Soul Wants Five Things and create your own soul-directed life.