Somatic Writing Prayer Intensive
with Tanya Taylor Rubinstein
What is the Somatic Writing prayer intensive?
You are a writer. We are all writers.
Everyone has the ability to write their story, but often we get stuck, or think we're stuck, because we don't know how to access the deeper layers of nuance and memory that are held in our bodies, or soma. These sensations may have their origins in events from our own lives or even in the traumas our ancestors experienced. The word “soma” originates from Latin and Greek and means both body and spirit.
During our Somatic Writing Prayer Intensive, we will work at the nexus, the liminal intersection of body, soul, and spirit. In a process called Story Archeology, our deepest stories will reveal themselves as we peel back the layers in our soma where our stories are stored or frozen. Through our writing we will bring in resources, such as our ancestors, animal and nature guides, and our connection to pleasure, in order to open to our stories, and our bodies, in a radically different way.
We will be retrieving parts of our stories—and parts of ourselves—that have been in exile, marginalized by family as well as a culture that did not understand the depth of who we really are, and the mystic, intuitive, and artistic gifts we carried.
What is our inquiry in our time together?
Week One: Stories Held in the Nervous System: Flight and Flight
- What are the stories your nervous system holds?
- What is the vagus nerve and how does it impact the framework through which you see and tell your stories?
- What is the relationship between our nervous system and our ancestors’ stories?
- What is the relationship between embodied history and DNA storytelling?
- What stories reside under our traumas that are longing to be heard?
Week Two: Stories from the Lungs: Frozen Grief and Longing
- When we come into relationship with our lungs, what stories want to be shared, and tears shed, over long-buried losses?
- How can connecting with our ancestors, animals, and nature guides support us in retrieving our grief to support artistic breakthrough?
- How have we fought against knowing all that we know?
- How can we be supported in moving out of fight or flight mode so we can slow down enough to access our stories of loss in a way that does not overwhelm us?
Week Three: Writing the Gut and Land: Resources for Digesting Pain and Opening to Pleasure
- How can we digest our individual, familial, and ancestral stories so we are empowered to make new choices?
- How to write in relationship to our mouth, stomach and the gut, which is the one place that Westerners are the most disassociated from?
- What’s the relationship between our gut and the land that we come from, keeping in mind that land is our resource and that the spirit of the land lives within us, and possibly the place to which we return upon death?
Closing Celebration: Body and Spirit Centered Reflections and Prayers
In our final gathering, we will have an opportunity to reimagine our stories in circle, and to reflect on our insights, breakthroughs, and transformations, as we release old traumas, access our stories in new ways, and refresh our voices together in a depth-based creative and prayer-inspired community.
Four 2 1/4-hour live sessions with writing guide, performance artist, and creator of Somatic Writing, Tanya Taylor Rubinstein, and prayer artist and mystic witch, Janet Conner
Session1: Tuesday, March 9, 7-9:15 pm Eastern—Stories Held in the Nervous System
Session 2: Tuesday, March 16, 7-9:15 pm Eastern—Stories from the Lungs
Session 3: Tuesday, March 23, 7-9:15 pm Eastern—Writing the Gut and Land
Session 4: Closing Celebration: Sunday, March 28, 2-4:15 pm Eastern
During this intensive, both the US and Europe will shift from Standard to Daylight time. The US on Saturday, March 14 before our 2nd gathering. The UK and Europe on Sunday, March 28 for our final celebration.
If we have several members in the UK and European time zones, watch parties will be arranged at times that work for the participants.
All sessions are recorded in both video and audio formats and available for viewing within 24 hours.
What will you receive?
Invitation to all 4 live sessions
Access to a password-protected resource page with recordings of all sessions in both video and audio formats, plus bonus videos and PDF Handbooks with support material and resources for this intensive
Bonus videos include:
- “Somatic Writing Foundational Tools” pdf from Tanya introducing the four keys to somatic writing
- 4 teaching videos on the 4 foundational tools by Tanya Taylor Rubinstein:
Tool 1—the Writing Altar
Tool2—the Embodied Writing Practice
Tool 3—Wisdom Writing
Tool 4—the As Above/So Below Walking Practice
- A 22-minute intimate video with Tanya telling her story, her background, her coaching, how she found Somatic Writing, and what Somatic Writing is. This is a superb introduction to Tanya.
- Seven Steps to Get Into Theta on how to drop into the theta brainwave state while writing with Janet Conner—a lovely support for Somatic Writing. The two writing practices are not two different practices, but two mirrors of how to tap into the wisdom carried in your wise loving divine body.
- Theta Music to support you in your soul writing and any other creative experiences
- “The Garden of the Body” Sacred Anointing Oil and Anointing practice with Emma Kupu Mitchell, who receives plant and mystical guidance on the content of the oils from the plants themselves and Mary Magdalene, and Janet Conner, who receives guidance on the anointing practice itself (Note: purchase of the oil from Emma is optional, you can use any oil you love during the anointing)
Membership in a private Facebook discussion group (optional)
If you require financial assistance, Janet and Tanya invite you to choose the self-selected scholarship option.
If you do not require a scholarship and wish to support this initiative which has made it possible for hundreds of people to join Janet’s intensives, please consider adding a scholarship to your regular registration.
$ 221 if this is your first intensive in 2021
$ 176 if you were in Take Back the Magic, Take Back the Dead
$ 140 self-selected scholarship
Meet Tanya Taylor Rubinstein in her own words
Since I was a small child, I've been obsessed with a few things: stories, the natural world, and a burning desire for freedom. I seem to have been wired as a "systems" thinker and now, after decades of learning, exploration, and research, I've finally found a way to blend my passions into a unique, hybrid modality that is expansive enough to satisfy my insatiable desire for congruency. In essence, Somatic Writing offers its own cosmology—a process for you to write narratives to liberate your voice, center your purpose in the world, and activate, as well as inspire, your readers.
As an introverted neurodivergent myself, my process of creation is experimental and often messy, with enough moments of sublime transcendence, and deepening embodiment and grace, to have kept me going for the last three decades before I was ready to codify this work. The work is now birthed into the world where it lives in service to deep sensitives, empaths, artists, and healers who are wired to be the writers of the new global stories. It's you love-soaked world-changers who are meant to be the writers and storytellers of future narratives.
If this sounds like you, please understand that everything that made you an outsider in the toxic dying culture has prepared you to lead in this time. This means a mindset change as you step into the center of your own circle of purpose. If you're being called to not only step up, but step all the way into the center of your radical, liberated, exiled genius by writing your story, I offer you my hand. I've built Somatic Writing just for you.
Janet Conner is a prayer artist, mystic witch, deep soul explorer, field guide in The Mystic, and mistress of the threshold between worlds—the mystical theta brain wave state. But first and always, Janet is a devoted daughter of the Feminine Divine and Original Prayer. In 2020, Janet was called to acknowledge that she is—and probably always has been—a mystic witch. Upon receiving this awareness, Janet enthusiastically embraced the sacred call to transmute witch from a word that strikes terror into a title that awakens a bone-deep memory of walking in wonder in a world that is sacred, beautiful, and alive. In June 2021, she will launch a truly radical prayer experience, The Return of The Witches: Jeanne d’Arc Listening Novena.
Janet’s first book, Writing Down Your Soul, became a bestseller, followed by The Lotus and The Lily, Soul Vows, Find Your Soul’s Purpose and more. When “Prayer Artist” came calling in February of 2018, Janet found herself writing a whole new genre of prayer as love songs, redefining prayer altogether, and leading radical prayer intensives with fellow female mystics. She launched the Praying at the Speed of Love podcast to host intimate conversations with authors and teachers about their private prayer lives. Although she can hear the trees in the Hudson River Valley whispering her name, for now Janet lives with silence, solitude, and joy in the tiny town of Ozona, Florida on the Gulf of Mexico.
Emma Kupu Mitchell
Emma has been a practitioner of holistic therapies for over 30 years, including clinical Aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Depth Numerology, Elemental Astrology with an emphasis on the Moon, Yoga Nidra, and Sound Healing. Emma uses her extensive knowledge of ancient healing practices to create unique sound- infused sacred anointing oils and tinctures aligning with your natal chart and the “sacred geometry” of YOU.
Emma’s passion over the last 5- 6 years has been in elemental and shamanic astrology (particularly the lunar/moon wisdom) studying with amazing teachers which has enabled a deeper level of wisdom and understanding of her own life and her work with clients. Emma brings the vibrations and ancient mysteries of the celestial skies down to earth and interweaves these teachings in a unique approach with depth numerology through the lineage of Pythagoras.
I believe Hawaii called me (all the way from England!) to this ancient energetic land – the heart chakra of Mother Earth, the perfect location to hear the senses of our Souls and to be in harmony with nature and our natural rhythms. It is with deep gratitude that I continue to share the “mana” of these beautiful islands through my work today as a soul medicine artist guiding you back to wholeness - helping you hear and live the music, beauty, and wisdom of your Soul.
Have questions? Contact Janet at email@example.com or 727-772-1118 between 1pm and 5pm Eastern