Prayer really comes alive in this conversation as we meander through the relationship with the divine as a relationship with a wise loving parent, a parent who wants nothing more than to give us all the mystical strength and vision we need to fulfill our tikkun olam, our contribution to the universal call to repair the world. And oh, does our world need repairing, does it not!
Amy Grossblatt Pessah is a rabbi, author, spiritual educator, sacred musician, wife, and mother of three. She has served denominations throughout America as an educator focusing on Jewish Family Education. She received her BA in Jewish and Near-Eastern Studies from Washington University in St Louis, MA in Jewish Education from Hebrew Union College, and rabbinic ordination from Aleph: Alliance for Jewish Renewal. Purchase Parenting on a Prayer at bookshop.org.
Real Prayer Action
This conversation is redolent with sacred prayer actions to savor. Here are just a few:
- Amy began with a question: What does it mean to be in relationship with the divine? Well, what does that mean to you?
- Amy and Janet’s prayer lives were transformed by praying outside. Step outside to pray and notice for yourself how prayer changes in Nature.
- Amy talked about the Talmud call to pray and bless 100 times a day. Sounds onerous until you hear her and Janet sharing dozens of times they pray. Can you bless more?
- Amy’s favorite name for God is Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh—translated as “I will be that which I will be.” What’s your favorite name for the Divine?
- Amy told the story of Rabbi Hillel standing on one leg and reciting the entire Torah by saying, “What is hateful to you, do not do to another.” Try it. Stand on one leg and recite the Torah!
- Every time Amy asked for guidance with her son, she heard the same thing: “Love him more.” Is this a message for you too?
Open your gift bags to read an excerpt of Parenting on a Prayer and a sacred song Shiviti Adonai l'negdi tamid, which means, "I place you, God, before me always." Click here to get the words.
Then, come to our Praying at the Speed of Love Facebook community and share your own insights and experiences with this deep conversation on prayer.
And please, press any of the social media share buttons at the top of this page and introduce your friends to this timely podcast on the radical power of prayer.