Thomas Merton said, “It is not we who choose to awaken ourselves, but God who chooses to awaken us.” In that case, our only option is to say yes. I
When Writing Down Your Soul came out, I didn’t see any particular pattern. I was grateful to have stumbled upon the mystical practice of deep soul writing. And I was grateful beyond measure to get to write a book about it.
But nine months later, I found myself nose-to-nose with bankruptcy, and thanks to trauma #2, I stumbled into the mystical practice of creating a beautiful life by living my personal fertile conditions. Once again, I was rescued at the last moment, and once again, I was thrilled to write a book about it—The Lotus and The Lily.
In April, it will be Soul Vows turn on the stage. Just like my other books, I didn’t set out to create the mystical practice of soul vows. Shoot, I didn’t even know there was such a mystical practice. I just knew that marriage vows didn’t mean a thing, so I demanded to know if there were unshakable, unbreakable vows I could say to my self, my soul, and my God.
Turns out there were.
After several weeks of intense soul writing, I had my covenant. But that wasn’t the end of the story. In fact, it was just the beginning. As I declared my soul vows publicly on 11-11-2000, I didn’t know it, but I was stepping into a life-long sacred marriage that would reveal its deeper meaning over time.
Last Saturday, I recorded six videos, each telling a part of the story of Soul Vows. As I heard myself tell the stories, I couldn’t miss the pattern—the pattern that’s been in front of me since 1997.
I call it “The Mikey Pattern.” Remember Mikey in the TV ads? His brothers and sisters didn’t want to try any new cereal that might be good for them, so they hollered, “Let Mikey try it!”
Now, I’m not sure when or how I signed up for the Mikey role, but I think I must have.
- Deep soul writing? Let Janet try it. Oh look! She likes it!
- Intention Mandala? Let Janet try it. Oh wow! It works!
- Soul vows? Let Janet try it. Oh my! As you live your soul vows, you gather the Presence of the Divine. Oh!
I seem to be in the business of saying yes!
- Yes to writing down your soul
- Yes to creating life as Buddha and Jesus taught
- Yes to Your Soul Wants Five Things. (That one gave me pause before I took the first bite.)
- Yes to altering past, present, and future in alignment with your soul’s purpose.
- Yes to creating live angel Q&A events
- Yes to The Soul-Directed Life radio show
- Yes to following the Medicine Wheel on the show
- And the biggest and most mystical of all: yes to the energetic template of the complete divine-human
There are a lot of firsts in that list. And so far, I must say, the cereal is superb! This is true soul food. I have no idea what’s next.
Well, wait, that’s not quite true. Just last Friday, Friday the 13th—my lucky day—my publisher asked me to write the 4th book in Your Soul Wants Five Things, Soul Direction. You won’t be surprised to hear that I said yes.
I promised to show you all the videos I recorded about the evolution of Soul Vows—one each Tuesday.
Here’s the first. It answers the question: What are Soul Vows? And where did they come from?
Of course the real answer is: They came from eating the mystical food of yes!
I’ll see you next Tuesday for the second of five stories and videos. Thank you so much for encouraging your friends to subscribe to these letters. Perhaps they too are experiencing the dance of yes!
To the soul-directed life of yes!